- 4 tablespoons beetroot powder ( I like the Macro beetroot latte blend containing beetroot powder, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, ground ginger and vanilla bean powder)
- 4 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut butter
- ½ cup dried sultanas
- 200 grams ABC butter + hemp (ABC= almonds, brazil and cashew nut butter)
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Snack: Beetroot Chocolate Bliss Balls
- Preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking: nil
- Serves Many
BENEFITS OF BEETROOT
Beetroot is an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, and folate (B9). The nitric oxide in beetroot reduces the oxygen cost of exercise while enhancing the stamina for high-intensity exercise. Improving nitric oxide has also been shown to be beneficial for men’s sexual health (and their partners!) and lowers blood pressure. The folate in beetroot has also been shown to allow nerve cells to repair this DNA damage caused by homocysteine and protect against Alzheimer’s disease. Beetroot’s fibre acts as a prebiotic fuel source for colon cells and helps the beneficial bacteria to thrive in the digestive system.
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Roll the mixture into small balls with your hands and place on a tray lined with non- stick baking paper. Place in the freezer or fridge to set. When set, store in an airtight glass jar.
You can also roll the balls in ½ cup of desiccated coconut, raw cocao nibs or ground nuts to add interest. I prefer ABC butter with hemp but you can use any nut butter in this recipe.
Take these balls to work or training as a snack or share as a delicious afternoon” pick me up”.