GLUTEN-FREE APPLE AND RHUBARB CRUMBLE
Rhubarb is a great source of vitamin C for immunity, magnesium, potassium and calcium. Rhubarb is rich in vitamin K1, important for bone health. A half cup of cooked rhubarb provides more than one-third of the recommended dietary intake of vitamin K1, along with two grams of fiber (great for overall gut health, constipation and lowering cholesterol).
Then there’s the apple – incredibly nutritious and offering multiple health benefits including fibre and a rich load of antioxidants. So what could be better than combining the two into a delicious gluten-free crumble?
This delicious, warming apple and rhubarb crumble is the perfect, healthy winter warming dessert and even better served with some creamy natural yoghurt or your favourite icecream!
• 4 apples peeled and cored
• 3 cups fresh rhubarb
• 2 tbs soft butter
• 4 tbs coconut sugar
• 4 tbs almond meal
• 4 tbs rice flour
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tbs pumpkin seeds
• 4 tbs shredded coconut
• 2 tbs sliced almonds
• Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
• Preheat oven to 160c
• Place diced apple and rhubarb in a large pot
• Squeeze lemon juice over these two ingredients
• Cook over low heat until soft.
• Place cooked fruit mixture in an oven proof dish. A glass Pyrex dish is perfect.
• Place all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix through. Rub the soft butter through the mixture to form a slightly lumpy crumble using clean fingers.
• Spoon crumble topping over cooked apple and rhubarb and place in fan forced oven for 20 minutes or until brown.
Most of all…..enjoy! x